Sleighing Negativity



At Christmas there seems to always be the pressure for things to be merry and bright. While the festive tunes are playing and the streets are filled with people, it can be hard not to feel a little bitter about not wanting to join in. But I’ve come to the conclusion that that’s okay.

I personally have a very difficult relationship with this time of year, as the child within me wants to relish in every moment, but the adult can’t quite bring herself to commit to the joy and celebration that she doesn’t truly believe in. I feel like a bit of a fraud. So much has happened in the last few years that makes Christmas hard to look forward to, and I always feel guilty for becoming the Grinch of the group. In fact, I refuse to believe that I’m a stereotypical Bah-Humbug type, yet I somehow manage to let most of my bitterness surface at one of the happiest times of year. Ironic, eh?

Despite these thoughts and feelings, I’ve come to terms with the way that the festive season makes me feel, and I believe that everyone who feels like I do should try their best to do the same. One of my friends (shout out hello love u xx) recently blogged about her own struggle with the obsession around food at Christmas (which you can find here), and I wholeheartedly share her way of thinking.  No matter what the reason behind your struggle or attitude, by shifting the focus towards your own good things over the festivities, it can really help brighten your own little struggle bubble (or should I say, bauble?!)



Filling the 31 days of December with nice things that don’t centre around whatever you find difficult is one of the most positive uses of your time.* For me, I channel my energy into ensuring those around me have the best experience possible. I love being thoughtful and creative when it comes to gift ideas as well as simple gestures, and I feel that this always goes a long way. “Do unto others as you would want done unto you”, and all that. There’s nothing like seeing someone’s face light up over an unexpected present or act of kindness, and in my opinion, this is where the magic of Christmas lies. It’s not so much about what happens on the actual day or where you spend it, it’s about using the final month as a conclusion to your year. Use those 31 days to round it off well- by showing and telling people you love them, spending time with them, and importantly, accepting everything that has happened over the year and taking life for what it is.

Making the most of the season for those who are still with us is all that gets me through. I cannot pretend to be excited about the day itself, and I won’t lie about how much I dread New Year. What I will do, however, is make the effort to do all I can to be the best friend, daughter, granddaughter, niece or colleague possible.

Christmas is an incredibly difficult time of year for lots of people for many different reasons. Be kind. Be thoughtful. And always, always, remember to look after yourself.

Vicky x

* In saying this, it is also important to acknowledge whatever it is you find difficult. Avoidance is not the answer, but I think that there's a lot to be said for making sure it doesn't take over your life.

Comments

Popular Posts