Two FRabbit albums and my First McDonalds Breakfast

Well then- first post and already a week late? 10/10 for effort x

If the last little while has proved anything it's that publishing something every seven days could be a bit of a stretch. I had good intentions and was completely on track to post last week, until I ended up picking up extra shifts at work, hosting for a couple of visitors and completely 'effing' it on a night out I hadn't planned (we've all been there so I am forgiving myself for that one). So, I have since decided I will instead go for the bi-weekly plan which should be a little less optimistic, keep the fun in blogging, while still maintaining a solid routine.


Consider 'The (every second) Sunday Notebook'...  a go!


So what the hell has been going on? Well, aside from the ridiculously beautiful weather that I have not been able to enjoy because I'm working and I'm completely not bitter about... nothing very exciting.


In between Tesco and late night ice cream adventures I have managed to squeeze in two work nights out- which have been the best fun.The latter (which unsurprisingly links with the previously mentioned night I "effed it") is not only responsible for the funniest set of club photos I have ever been in, but much more importantly for the second half of this post's title. That's right-



I am no longer a McDonald's breakfast virgin


BIG gasp. I know. How I have survived for two decades on this planet without having one is beyond me, yet here we are; a whole sausage, egg and cheese mcmuffin, hash brown and hot chocolate later. I must admit I was somewhat underwhelmed and could probably have done with more food (lol), but I will give it the credit for my lack of hangover on Saturday. A true miracle as I am renowned for being a serial spewer.

Overall? A solid 7/10 time.

Aside from all the good things I've managed to get up to in the wake of finishing uni, a more poignant matter has also been taking up a fair bit of my time. As I've already mentioned I thought I had this post all figured out, as I've started to keep a note of all the blog ideas that come to mind as and when they do so. Yet learning of Scott Hutchison from Frightened Rabbit's death pushed these plans to one side. The content I had intended to blog no longer felt appropriate, and given that we are reaching the end of Mental Health Awareness Week I decided to leave just a few words on the subject here.

I am not about to claim to be the biggest Frabbit fan that has ever lived, in fact I could not be further from it, as the only exposure I’ve really had to their music (until now, two albums and a good cry later) has been the odd BBC ALBA showing of their set at Belladrum which I have sat at home and watched with my dad. Yet despite lacking the longstanding background that so many of their fans hold, to me the news was no less devastating.

Mental health is such a sensitive and difficult topic to tackle, and I'm not about to preach away about the importance of talking to your loved ones and those you trust in times of difficulty. Scott spent many years discussing his battles in interviews such as this one* and although his openness has undoubtedly saved many, there is so much further to go. What I do want to say, however, is to let his passing be a reminder to let the people you hold closest to you know how much you love them. Remind your friends what they are worth. Remind your family that you are grateful for them. Remind the people you look up to just how important their presence in your life is. Being the best friend that you can is all that you can be expected to do, and sometimes having that hand to hold as you guide someone along their journey to recovery (or even the simplest of improvements) is just what they need to pull them through.


Suicide is not a sign of weakness by any means. I think that each incident at the very least is a reminder that as dark and evil as the world can be, sometimes the worst can exist inside your own mind.


So be kind, educate yourself on how best to support your nearest and dearest and respect the struggles of others. There is always the right kind of help to be found.


(Oh- and definitely get yourself a large McDonald's b'fast next time you're heading home at 6am!)


Vicky x



Florence and the Machine

*Google some of his interviews. This is one I particularly liked, but there are so many more where he has spoken beautifully about his experiences.

Comments

Popular Posts